Are you about to rent a car to go on holiday? You can already imagine yourself on the road, counting the kilometers to your destination… But before booking your vehicle, take a look at these few tips, synonymous with savings and peace of mind! If you are willing to spend your vacation in France for example, you can visit drivy.co.uk/ in order to learn more about hiring a car in France.
Collect the required documents before going to the agency
First of all, to be able to rent a car for the holidays, you will need to provide certain documents such as:
- your identity document
- driving licenses (yours and the 2nd driver’s if you take this option)
- a recent proof of residence
- the credit card that was used for online payment (if you booked online)
Namely: you must be at least 21 years old and have held a driving license for 12 months (often even more than 24 months) to be able to rent a vehicle.
Please note: Your credit card must have a balance at least equivalent to the amount of the deposit. If necessary, do not hesitate to ask your bank to adjust the limit on the use of your credit card so that it is not blocked for your subsequent holiday expenses.
Choose your payment card carefully
Most rental companies will ask you to pay with your credit card. Take this opportunity to check that you do not already have some insurance included in your credit card contract so that you do not have to pay twice for the same service!
Namely: if you have Gold, Premium or Platinum credit card: use it to pay for the rental, declaring the card owner as the main driver. This type of card offers really interesting insurance coverage that limits the financial risks for you in the event of an accident or scratches and prevents you from having to subscribe to additional insurance options!
Make sure you are well insured for your holiday car rental
Basic leases allow you, of course, to be covered for the main risks such as:
- Theft insurance
- Damage insurance
- Insurance of transported persons
But beyond these included insurances, the rental companies will offer you several extensions of guarantees… and it is not always easy to distinguish the useful from the superfluous.
Take the time to take an inventory of the vehicle at departure
The rental company is obliged to mention the condition of the vehicle in the rental contract, take the time to read it in detail!
- Check the mileage: does it correspond to what is mentioned in the inventory of fixtures?
- Is the fuel filled up? Otherwise, check that the level of the gauge is well specified.
- Drive around the vehicle and check that all visible damage, scratches, dents etc. are mentioned in the inventory of fixtures. Don’t forget to check the condition of the rims
- Try the wipers, turn signals, before leaving, to check that they work properly.
Note: if these items are not specified in the inventory of fixtures, the rental company may hold you liable for these damages and invoice you.
Good idea: Feel free to take pictures or short videos of the vehicle.
Take the entire budget into account
The prices displayed for car rental are basic rates. If you wish to add certain services, you may incur additional costs, such as:
- Additional equipment: child seat, snow tires, roof bar, GPS…
- Extensions of coverage: as we have seen above, you can subscribe to some extensions of coverage, but beware of the extra cost!
- The additional driver option: some rental companies will charge you an extra fee if you decide to add an additional driver for the rental of your vehicle.
Our advice: By renting on the internet, you will benefit from cheaper rates than in an agency, but check the cancellation conditions and associated fees.
To rent the car you need to take the road to your holiday in complete peace of mind, contact Peugeot Rent and benefit from the experience and know-how of a renowned dealer!